Friday, November 3, 2023

When Other People Tell Me Who I Am

 

When I arrived, I found a box with my name on it.

I found out soon enough, the box was mine to wear, 

And I am not allowed out of it.

It is tight and constricts me.

I have gained weighty opinions and the box hurts.


I am not having it.

You can’t tell me who I am.


Because

I am the wide open spaces,

Because

I have climbed into the crack in the earth 

And explored the ruin.


I have come to know myself without the boxes 

that I was put into, then taped shut and labeled Carole.


I have covered the box in art and writing.

I have unglued the seams.

I have pulled the box away.



Unadorned

I claim this space I take up.

This larger than a box space 

and I settle and expand, becoming the space all around.


Carole has left the box.

Carole is walking into the forest,

Magic on her mind, 

Carrying the box to sit upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment